Friday, February 22, 2013

DIY: Burlap and Tulle Wreath



 I have never been a "wreath on the front door" type of girl.  Other than a Christmas Wreath, I never had one on my door in Lufkin.  One of the things I liked about the Dogwood house when we were looking for houses in Nac, were the two beautiful wreaths the Combs had on the front door.  So this fall I made my first "non-Christmas" wreath purchase.  I guess I didn't realize how expensive wreaths are and even more expensive when you have to get them times two!  So, after purchasing some awesome fall wreaths as well as awesome Christmas wreaths, I've been wanting to get something that would last through the spring/summer months, but have not been willing to get off my wallet.

I went to Hobby Lobby this afternoon to get stuff for a framed calendar project; I left with stuff for burlap and tulle wreaths!  Each wreath cost about $35.00 to make, much better than the $65.00 price tag on the average 50% off wreath. 



Items Needed To Make Two Wreaths:
  1. Wire Wreath
  2. Floral Stem Wire
  3. 5 yards of Burlap (buy this off the bolt rather than the pre-cut rolls, it will be about half the price)
  4. 5 yards of Tulle (today it was on sale for $0.77 a yard, woohoo)
  5. 30 feet of Ribbon of your choice
  6. Flower Sprigs of your choice (an odd number is usually best)

Step One:  Take the wire wreath and attach floral stem wire about every inch around entire wreath.




Step Two:  Cut burlap and tulle in half along fold line from bolt.  Then remove three to four strings from cut edge on the burlap so it will match the raw outside edge.


Step Three:  Scrunch together the burlap and attach to wreath with floral wire.  Scrunch fabric again about four inches back and attach at the next floral wire.  The larger you want the bubble, the farther back you should scrunch material (for larger bubbles more material will be needed).  Continue until entire wreath is covered.




 Step Four:  Repeat step three with the tulle; however, when you are twisting the floral wire, twist to the back of the wreath so it will be hidden from view.



Step Five:  Make a bow with the ribbon and attach at the start/end area on the wreath.  It should have at least six loops.



 Step Six:  Attach Floral Sprigs as desired and your wreath is ready to hang.





1 comment: