Monday, February 20, 2012

The New House...Formal Living and Dining

I plan to make several posts showcasing our new house and furniture.  I hesitate to even post this one yet as all my decorating in these rooms is not finished, but I couldn't resist sharing!

We gained several new rooms with our new house that we did not have in Lufkin:  a formal living room, a formal dining room, and a fourth bedroom.  While I was super excited about the extra square footage, I realized this also meant I was going to need several new pieces of furniture.  In case you haven't looked lately, furniture is expensive!  I am proud to say though, that Stephen and I have been able to furnish our added rooms with "new-to-us" furniture.  With a little patience and lots of looking, we were able to not only furnish our formal living and formal dining rooms, but do it in style (or at least I like to think so!)


Our first fabulous find were these chairs and settee at Furniture Fetish in Lufkin, TX.  While the lime green and flower look would have been just my thing in high school, it wasn't quite the look I was going for with this new house.  I found the red chenille damask at Milling Around in Shreveport, LA and ordered the plain red chenille from Mood Fabrics in New York, NY.  The upholstery work was done by Goldie's in Nacogdoches, TX.
 


One thing you have to love about small towns is customer service.  Goldie made these triangle pillows as a surprise for me because it took her a tad longer to do the work that she had originally thought.  She was very affordable as far as upholstery goes and we are very pleased with her work!


View from Den

 

View from Formal Dinning 

Our next big find came courtesy of Lou Anne Jones, my 10th grade English teacher.  She posted a picture of a dining room chair on her Facebook page saying her friend was selling their table and six chairs and to contact her if interested.  This was the Facebook picture...


Considering all I knew about the table before I went to the Butter's house to see it was this chair, man oh man was I in for the best surprise EVER!  I must say that Stephen and I hit the jackpot with this find.  We were able to get the table and six chairs for about 85% off it's retail price.

 The table is absolutely gorgeous and can seat up to twelve people.  We will be getting four more chairs in the very near future (which ironically will end up costing us about the price we paid for what you see here...again I felt like we were stealing form the Butters!).

Once the table was bought, the search for a china cabinet ensued.  Again, Furniture Fetish to the rescue.  The china cabinet you see was brand new off the floor of a store that had recently closed in Lufkin.  Furniture Fetish had it drastically reduced and we were able to get it for about half off the retail price.  The color of the wood matches the sitting chairs and settee perfectly while the ornate carving goes well with the dinning set.  Not to mention it is a great size to display my china, waterford crystal, and most importantly my Kosta Boda Bull (doesn't everyone have a bull in their china cabinet?)


 When we finally got the sitting chairs and settee back from Goldies we were then able to see what else we needed.  Because the settee is on the small side it was apparent we would either need some type of coffee table or side table to go between the two chairs.  Stephen and I went to the antique stores here in Nac this past Saturday and didn't really find anything we just loved.  A little bummed, I thought I'd check out Furniture Fetish's online inventory.  It's crazy the things you miss when you are looking for something specific like a china cabinet or a dining table.  There they were and had been for a good while now, marble top antique tables.  They were actually purchased today and I was about to get them for about 40% off the original asking price.


So there you have it.  Our "new to us" formal living and formal dining room.  While new is always nice, "new to you" is so much more fun!  (I also must give a shout out to the former owners Danny and Lauren Combs for their impeccable (sp?) decorating style.  From light fixtures, to floors, and wall color we just had to move our furniture in!)
  View from the Den

No comments:

Post a Comment