Thursday, April 19, 2012

Harvey: Am I a Dysfunctional Adult?

While the answer to the above question is probably a firm YES, I am okay with it.  Harvey has been with me for twenty-six years.  He was a present from my Uncle Bones on my first birthday.  Needless to say we've been through a lot together.

When I was younger I took Harvey everywhere and because I have a tactile issue (that still exists today) I would suck my thumb  and rub Harvey at the same time.  I remember vividly a couple of weeks before kindergarten started my mom took Harvey away for a week to make me stop sucking my thumb.  All it took was one day without him and I stopped, but she wanted to make sure it was for real.

I also remember the night I couldn't find Harvey.  This happened periodically and we quickly found him or he appeared the next day.  This time however was different.  I had been playing with him by the creek.  That night there was a HUGE rain and needless to say we came to the conclusion that Harvey was lost forever in the Great Flood.  My mom and sister quickly went to a local store in search of a replacement.  They found one, the exact rabbit, but deep inside I knew it wasn't Harvey.  Then one day about a year later the most amazing miracle happened (proof that God does care about the little things!) Mrs. Rene, our neighbor, comes walking up to the house crying and holding this thing her dog Bozo (man that brings back some memories) had drug up from the creek...it was HARVEY!!!!

Harvey has traveled all over the United States with me, to Tanzania and Kenya, and I hate to admit it, but he even went to Jamaica.  He has also accompanied me to my three surgeries.

The best thing about the Harvey issue is that I have a husband that doesn't make me feel like a dysfunctional adult.  When the nurse entered my room the day of my D&C to ask me questions I didn't realize she was the one who would be doing my IV.  Harvey was tucked away in my purse at the time.  After the trauma of getting the IV in (my needle phobia is another post for another day) and upon the nurses departure my sweet husband who has lovingly been stroking my hair and wiping my tears from my face gets Harvey out of my purse and helps me hide him under the covers.

So yes I am a twenty-seven-year-old who still needs her stuffed animal.  Other than that I think I'm a pretty well adjusted, functioning adult!

No comments:

Post a Comment