Sunday, August 12, 2012

A Box of Letters to My Husband

I have a box that contains 30+ letters I started writing to my husband the summer before my freshman year in high school.  It not only contains these letters but other mementos that are special to me.  When we miscarried in April I wanted to put all the cards of encouragement I received in the box along with my sono pictures, but I couldn't find it!  I pretty much had a heart attack, but I knew I had packed it when we moved and eventually I would find it and that's just what happened tonight.  So I thought I'd let you in on a small part of Stephen and my's story:)

"6-22-01

Sweetheart,

I've waited all my life for this day!  The day that I became yours.  The thing I love most about our relationship is our number one love, the common bond we share, God.  I love that it is through your love for God that we have come to love each other.  You are better than anyone I could have ever dreamed up or wanted.  I want you to know that I have been praying for you ever since I was a little girl.  The man of my dreams, that is what you are.  When you walk into the room you make my heart pound and the room seems to spin.  You make me the happiest woman alive and I can't wait to start our lives, the rest of our lives.  It seems like an eternity, but yet it is only a short while.  I pray that as our relationship grows we will grow in our personal relationships with God.  I pray that we will seek out God's will in our marriage and that he will bless us.  I pray that we will live to see our 50th wedding anniversary and that our children and grand children will be blessed.  As a young girl I've searched for a definition of love.  In the secular world today love can be a twisted and over used word, but in God's word, he gives us a clear definition of what love is.
     'Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not  
      self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Loves does not delight in evil but
      rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
This definition fits our love for each other so well.  Thank you for making my dreams come true and for
      being the second love of my life and sharing my first love, God.'

Your Wife,
Anna"

Man I love this letter and love that it rings true even to this day eleven years later.  Then fast forward four years  in the midst of what I thought was one of the most difficult times in my life and see what I wrote.

"November 7, 2005

Sweetheart,

Wow again it's been over a year since I've written last.  So much has happened over the past year and especially the past six months.  So I thought I knew who you were, but God knew otherwise....I just can't wait to see how amazing you are!  WOW we are getting married tomorrow and as I am writting this I have no clue who you are.  But I do know you're amazing, amazing, amazing!  Why you've chosen me I have no clue, but thank you.  I want you to know I can't wait to do your laundry, cook your food, clean your house, and have your children!  I want to serve you as a wife is supposed to and I know that in return you are going to love me just as Christ loved the church, and I thank you for that!  So know that even though I haven't written as often as I did in the beginning, I do think of you often, probably more than I should.  I love you.

Love,
Anna"

It's amazing how God works and the things he uses to prepare us for that perfect person.  Little did I know that only a few weeks later some guy named Stephen Wyatt would add me as a friend on FaceBook.

"January 18, 2006

Stephen Wyatt,

Your name is Stephen Wyatt and I am marrying you tomorrow.  Wow to think back in November when I wrote you the last letter I hadn't even met you and here it is two months later and I know you are going to be my husband.  Babe I love you with all my heart and we've only been dating for 17 days.  I'm excited to see how much more our love will grow over the years.  I want you to know I will always love you.  Babe, tonight you said something that is so true.  You said "God knows the desire of our hearts and you know that's right" and you were the desire of my heart and he gave me to you.  Oh my gosh... you have a name and a face.  I know who you are.  I've waited my whole life to know you and now I do.  Alright I'll stop rambling but I'll leave you with this...tomorrow I hope to make you the happiest man alive that is humanly possible and know that you will do the same for me.

Love Your Wife,
Anna"

I love that I have written documentation with dates where I can look back and see God's faithfulness!  I'll leave you with one more thing.  The card Stephen gave me for my 21st birthday, 13 days after our first date...

The front read, "There is more to your life than you ever thought.  There is more to your story than what you have read." (Max Lucado)

The inside read, "Through the Lord, may this coming year be even more than you ever dreamed it could be!  Happy Birthday!  "...'No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him.'" I Corinthians 2:9

And Stephen wrote, "Anna, I laboard and lamented over what I could put down on this wide open space, but when it comes down to it, I could not think of anything to say that the card had not already.  There are many things that I do not undertand, and many more things that I do not know.  A few things that I do know are quite simple.  One thing is there is you and there is me, together.  No mirrors or smoke, just the two of us, and that makes me very happy.  I could try and promise the world, some of what it has to offer and not deliver, but then how would I be any different than any other guy.  Instead, I offer what is written on the faces of this card, and I hope to show you more than you could ever have dreamed of.  Happy 21st Birthday. Stephen"

This past week I was talking with some people about how fast everything moved with Stephen and me.  I think this card sums up my 21st year of life and also give a glimpse into how I just knew 13 days after our first date that we were going to get married!

No comments:

Post a Comment