Monday, May 21, 2012

It's Almost Summer!

Summer is almost here, just one more week!  I've really enjoyed getting to know my students this semester. It's crazy to think that this time last year I could not WAIT for school to be out because I knew that my teaching career was on hold for the next several years.  I didn't really know what exactly I was going to do, but trusted God would help it to all work out.  I needed the time to do fertility treatments and it would have been impossible to do that and be able to give my students 100% or really even 75% of my best, so resignation was the best option for both them and me.  But here I sit with two awesome classes or kids who God has used to minister to me for the past five months.  After spending most of the fall subbing just a few days a week between trips for treatment and such, the opportunity to teach part time was presented in January.  While it was every day, because of the hours it still made it possible for me to continue to travel to Shreveport and make my appointments without interfering with much class time.  I did have to miss a few days here an there and when the kids asked where I was, I was open with them about our fertility treatments.  They are the ones who saw me every day and watched me go from that cute dressed new teacher to barely making it to class on time, dirty hair in a ponytail, puking my brains out teacher.  They KNEW before most because they could see it and tell.  My department head went ahead and told them all what had happened when I miscarried and had to miss class for several days.  I cannot begin to explain how mature and sensitive these kids have been to me.  God truly has used them to love on me in some of my most joyous and devastating months of my life.

So my plan for the summer...I started working at Kennedy's again at the beginning of May.  It's my home away from home and with the exception of 2011, I have worked for them in some form or fashion every year since 2006.  So this summer I will be working two days a week on Tuesdays and Fridays and a couple of Saturdays each month.  It's the best of both worlds...I basically have the entire summer off, but will still have a job.  Now mind you that usually a job means you are making money, but as Stephen likes to point out he basically pays for me to work at Kennedy's.  That's how he sees it, I see it as breaking even because lets be honest, I would still be buying all those gifts and jewelry whether or not I was working there ;)  And I get to hang out with some pretty amazing people!

So along with working two-three days a week, JoDee and I are planning to continue training for a mini triathlon and trying to convince Callie she can do the swimming and do it with us too!  We've got the running down and started swimming about three weeks ago.  It's been so fun to get back into the pool.  I swam on swim team when I was little, but hadn't been in the water like that since.  I've found my groove and I actually look forward to our swim workouts.  Hopefully we will get bikes soon and start the bike training, this is the part that worries me the most, and also start to do some bricks with swimming and biking and running all together.     

We also have two "vacations" planned for the summer.  We will be going to my brother and SIL's at the beginning of July to have a stay cation with my mom and dad, sister, her four children and them.  The only person missing will be my BIL, but he will be on a mission trip to Europe so we understand.  Then Stephen and I will have a early TPA (Texas Pharmacy Association) meeting/vacation.  It's more of a vacation for me and business with a mix of pleasure for him. 

So as this week comes to a close, I have a lot to look forward to over the next several months.  I will miss these Juniors so much, but I know God has something great planned for me next school year, just not sure what yet:)

No comments:

Post a Comment