Monday, May 14, 2012

Working Out

So when I found out I was pregnant I continued to workout the first few weeks like nothing was different.  My goal was to be that big fat and pregnant lady running down the street for all to see;)  However the morning/all day long sickness started to kick me on my butt.  I was doing good to run two days a week and a mile or two at a time.  It was very frustrating because I had been able to just go run five mile and not even think twice about it just weeks before.

I had to wait a week before I could start running again after my D&C.  Dr. Vineyard had told me it would be about two months before we would be able to start trying again, so in the mean time I wanted to do some type of training.  I decided on a half marathon June 10th.  Seemed like a great idea and the perfect amount of time.  The training started with running two miles and increased mileage quickly.  While my breathing was horrible that first week everything else was fine.  The second week the breathing was better and then the third week the breathing was great, but not the knee.  It was a Monday run and we were supposed to be going five miles.  My knee had starting hurting a little, but nothing too bad.  I'd been icing and hoping that would help.  Well a little short of four miles while my breathing was awesome and I think I could have gone three more miles if I had to, my knee thought otherwise.  It had hurt with every step of the run thus far, but then it almost completely gave out.  And so with that run my plan of running a half on June 10th went down the drain :( 

New plan...a sprint tri.  So if I can't run that long of a distance then lets do a sprint tri where I only have to run a 5K.  My friends Callie and JoDee had been running with me for the half so they decided to switch with me as well.  So while we aren't on an actual training plan just yet, we are getting our feet wet, literally.  JoDee and I started swimming two weeks ago, the biking will have to wait about another month till I get my SIL's to borrow.   Now I swam on swim team as a child and was fairly good at it, but that was a LONG time ago.  JoDee swam in college.  So I was a little intimidated for that first swim.  Would I be able to make it, would I drown?  So while I can't keep up with her on everything, especially the long distances I am learning that my sprinting is still there for the most part.  Best part about swimming, no hurting knee the next day! 

So before we start a specific tri training I'm going to have to actually get my knee checked out :(  I had surgery on it about four and a half years ago.  It doesn't hurt in the same place, but it's gotten out of control.  I've tried icing it and even rest, but nothing seems to give.  I'm crossing my fingers no surgery is needed, but my friend Charlotte who is a PTA says she's thinking it's my meniscus and I probably will need a scope.  She also says I'm going to have to realize that long distance running might not be able to continue to be my thing.  That makes me really sad. 

I started running in January of 2011, after telling Stephen I was going to run a 5K.  He kinda laughed as to say I'll believe it when I see it.  (He did see it, about two months later and then four months later he saw a 10K.)  I had not run since high school and quite frankly it's my least favorite thing to do and I had never run more than a mile without stopping.  That runner's high, I think it's all made up!  And while I still don't LOVE it, I love the way it makes me feel afterwards and I love that it gives me goals that I can work towards and achieve.  It's  the thing I can control in my life, the thing that has helped me to deal with my infertility.  That is why the idea of not being able to run makes me sad.  So I know it's crazy, but would you please pray that my knee is fixable and I will be able to eventually do a half.  I don't like setting a goal and then not reaching it.

In the mean time, the tri training shall continue and I am enjoying the swimming.  Who knows maybe Master's Swimming might be in my future ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment